Monday, March 23, 2009

Word of the day...Mantoss

You wouldn't believe the trouble I went through just to shoot this image from the back of a taxi. I was on my way home from downtown Daegu and happened to glance out the window while at a red light. Of all of the safety devices I have seen, I had never seen one so appropriately worded. I have no idea if this was intentional, nor if the front of the vehicle had this splashed all over the front of the push bar...but the word mantoss caused all kinds of Death Race 2000 images to flood my imagination.

Since pedestrians do not have the right of way, at least not that I am aware of, the use of the word mantoss not only serves as a warning, but also describes the action of being tossed upon collision. Another fine example of how language is used here in Korea...and mass produced with millions not knowing what the meaning is, or perhaps they do.

Meanwhile the taxi driver observed me from his rear view mirror and wondered why I would roll down my window just to shoot a picture of a back of a car. I just smiled and said, mantoss...Nee Nee....and shook his head still not understanding a word.

The light turned green.

No comments: