Friday, March 13, 2009

Watching creation....CRAP ART DAEGU

As I went through CRAP ART:DAEGU and was thrilled not only with how many artists and members of the community showed up. I felt that Josh and Z tapped into a hunger that had exploded into this orgy of art. However, a few things became incredibly apparent to me...one there were so many images to go through...(already)....and I did not have the stamina to stay for 24 hours (I am going back to see the final results) because I am not 20 years old and I was getting a contact high from the paint fumes. I will say that even sometimes the best strategy doesn't work...like getting to Club That. The Taxi Driver was not familiar with the east side of Downtown Daegu...and left me about a 10 minute walk away in the bristling cold of a Friday the 13th...and I strolled looking for someone that spoke English who knew their way. I found a University student who saw me with my small rolling suitcase (yes, prepared and over prepared for this adventure). We do need to realize we do depend on the kindness of strangers more than we realize. Fortunately I carry my Daegu Pockets Maps with me. It tends to help immensely and made it to my destination in one piece while making a friend who berated his English during our entire walk.

I thought only for a second what I must have looked like...coming into the bar...sitting there with my suitcase and ordering a meal...the second thing that happened was a tray almost fell on me...and the third...a tipping over a glass of red wine...this Friday the 13th. Good...all of the bad is now discharged...I can go upstairs and get down to business.
I realized a couple of things. Faces were familiar now. Either I had seen them on Facebook, or met them through other events. I finally saw the two...Josh Bellingham and Zaihn N. K. , fresh faced, excited and incredibly optimistic. The visionaries for this event which from an outsiders point of view took a lot of courage to pull off in South Korea. We spoke, smiled, and I purchased my ticket (all of the proceeds are going to a worthy cause). The goal of this event was to get artists to work together as a community and not as individuals. Some had a lot to say...others simply had fun. Still even as I reflect on the early genesis that I watched...I saw such a willingness for people to put themselves out there. This is the beginning. The telling...and now for the showing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fascinating and reminds me somehow of graffitiart and some modern art here and in the US, different but similar at the sam time.

Marilyn said...

This definately had a street art feel to it...from individual efforts that blend into a collage of many voices...