Sunday, March 8, 2009

Where to find your label of lager...

The WA Bar in Daegu is possibly one of the few places where you literally find any kind of lager, ale, pilsner from anywhere in the world that you are craving. Though I am not a big beer drinker, I have to say I was kind of shocked that here in Daegu, this bar had the widest variety I had seen in a long time. They pride themselves on having a separate beer menu, which contains ales, pilsners, stouts, and a complete on line community that rates, raves and rants about their love affair with beer.
To test them out...a rare find, even in the United States is a favorite of mine. Castleman XXXX from Australia. I was able to locate this brand with little trouble in the UK, when I lived there in the early 1990s. In the US, I think I found one place that had it on their menu, but then again, I wasn't looking too hard. Here in South Korea...it magically appeared, at an amazing price that was below the cost of procuring a lowly Budweiser (how ironic).
Although it would be equated as a typical sports bar by US standards, with franchises throughout South Korea and complete with a large Plasma Screen Television to watch World Cup Soccer on...one detail didn't escape me...the upside down Jack Daniel's sign. Perhaps they thought it looked better that way.

No comments: