Saturday, January 31, 2009

Seoul journey....

I was off to Seoul alone, by the incredible means of communicating through prepared notes, symbols, and gestures. Somehow, someway...I happen to make it to Seoul and back in one piece. This was a lot more challenging than I had thought it was going to be. When you think about it, more than not knowing a language, or the symbols they use for their writing to at least make an educated guess about a destination or instruction, you have to use your wits to plan out things with far more precision and a lot less whimsy.

Add Image


The first hurdle, may have seemed simple on the surface. Hail a taxi from Chilgok to get to the train station on time. Problem, I woke up, late...already the self-sabotage had begun, I had less than an hour to make it. Not a problem, I was dressed and out the door within five minutes. Where to get a taxi...hmm...just walked a bit and happened to see a taxi going the opposite direction and waived the car down. He must have been hungry for a fare because normally they will blow on by. I would like to think I didn't look absolutely pathetic with my rolling suitcase on the side of the road...but it was morning rush hour and I was damn lucky. I didn't say a word. I showed my train ticket...and pointed at the departure time...and closed my eyes while he did the driving...and made the train.

A little about this marvelous train for you Westerners...

The KTX travels at an incredible rate of speed...in excess of 300 Kilometers an hour. I left at 9:05 in the morning and arrived in Seoul before 11 am...this gave me about two hours to figure out how to get to my next destination...which I admit was a little more challenging...

Ah...but then I saw something that stopped me cold. Something I absolutely did not think I would find in Korea...
In of all places...a French bakery...in a train station...there they were...pain au chocolat...damn to hell the schedule...this was on my list for my personal scavenger hunt. I procured one...and then was on my way.

I went through my trusty notes to continue my journey, but to my dismay...something wasn't quite right. So I found myself making a few calls (thank God I actually got a cell phone) and sorting out the details...was able to get to where I needed to go...with an hour to spare.
Ah...finally I am starting to see some art...and actually in Seoul there is quite a bit of it...but this time, TIME was not my friend...
...and did I mention Jazz??? Ah, but this was a tease...this really was a restaurant...but as I found out when I checked into my hotel....

some things never change. In a city with 22 million people...I would love to see a place that had a private bath. Damn, I will have to go back...for a real exploration when the weather is grand and I have the luxury of time.


No comments: