Thursday, June 18, 2009

In the middle of the week, in the middle of the day...

It was in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day when I stepped away for a private moment in a place where few people go. It was a wonderful day when I found the sky garden, which isn't a garden, rather, an open deck area...of a failed restaurant. No one comes here, but I do...often nodding to the custodian that sweeps the area while I sit and write and imagine this is someplace else.

Today, I wasn't alone...there was the sound of a harmonica playing and a woman humming to the corresponding notes...as she massaged his feet. It was their moment, as I observed their sweet nature, not one of young lovers, but as a couple that complete comfort with the presence of each other. Displaying an intimacy of such tenderness, in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, they had managed to carve out their own moment to be together.

The harmonica played and soothed my spirit and gave her joy. As I sat there and recorded the moment, documenting how they had not forgotten each other in the waves of life. As I jotted down a few more lines, silence fell and I turned to glance and saw they had fallen asleep.

A warm comfortable silence, with a cooling breeze...a gift for the present.

I saw the total peace in the moment and reached for my camera. It was the kind of peace you know when you see it. The emptiness of words are no longer required. Just a state of being that I would have missed had I been busy with my own thoughts as the dust of China sweeps over Daegu...

No comments: