Thursday, April 2, 2009

When was the last time you saw this?

I have to admit that I don't ever recall police officers sitting in a park...just relaxing on a couple of swings. I paused and watched them for a few minutes and took this single shot of their break. This was a first for me. It is kind of sad that this would even be classified as an odd scene from my life experience. In this simple scene I saw an innocence that is lost in the majority of the world. The absence of a gun belt is striking. The police were simply enjoying a break at a park on a beautiful day. They could have sat on a bench...but that would have been ordinary...adult.

It made me think about the very last time I even sat on a swing...perhaps as a young mother...but even then, I probably felt foolish. I think at times we do need to get a little foolish and find those things we no longer do...the simple things that gave us pleasure...and be children again, just being in a moment.

In this time of deep uncertainty, to see such a calm scene in early spring does give you hope. After all, there is no freedom when you walk around entrenched in fear.

No comments: